The shopping season is upon us, and so are the discounts. Every year retailers offer huge discounts on their products and sell their remaining stock before Christmas. So while the holidays are a great time...
Still looking for gift ideas this holiday season? We've put together some homemade DIY gifts. You will find a list of 5 ideas to help you make your own gifts. Making handmade gifts has never been easier! Plus, we give you ideas on how to wrap your gifts in a sustainable way.
Soy wax-infused food wrap roll
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: About 2 minutes
Replacing plastic wrap, more commonly known as "saran wrap", with reusable wrap is the new eco-friendly DIY that everyone should do. It's easy and green! There are already several beeswax food wraps available, but from a vegan perspective, we are going to replace it with soy wax.
What you need
- organic cotton fabric
- 2 ½ tbsp of soy wax
- 2 tsp of pine resin
- 1 tbsp of jojoba oil
- pinking shears
- silicone brush
- reusable baking sheet
- large baking sheet
- Choose your cotton fabric, preferably organic, which will act as your reusable wrap roll
- Wash and dry your fabric
- Cut the fabric into the desired shapes and sizes you need. We recommend 8x8 inches, 11x11 inches or 14x14 inches.
- Use a pinking shears to trim the edges of your fabric to prevent it from fraying.
Image : Micheals
Soy wax mix
- Preheat your oven to 200° F
- Prepare a double boiler : Place the soy wax, pine resin and jojoba oil. Cook for about 20 minutes over medium-high heat until the ingredients melt.
- Meanwhile, place a reusable baking sheet on a large baking sheet and place your fabrics on top.
- Once the ingredients have melted, use a silicone brush to lightly brush the fabric with the mixture. Be careful not to put too much mixture, you can always add more if the result is not good enough.
- Bake for about 2 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and look for dry spots or unevenness.. If you notice any, brush the mixture on those areas and place the baking sheet in the oven for 2 minutes.
- When your wraps look good, remove them from the baking sheet and hang them on hangers to dry. Wait a few minutes.
Prep time:: 30 minutes
Waiting time : 24 hours
The best thing to do in cold weather is to light a candle to keep you warm. Here is a simple recipe that you can reproduce at home.
What you need
- 1 mason jar or other type of jar
- soy wax
- 1 wood candle wicks
- 15 drops of fragrance
- Prepare a double boiler : melt the soy wax
- Once melted, remove from heat, let it cool for about 20 minutes
- Place the wick in your jar
- Once the wax is tempered, add 15 drops of your favourite fragrance and stir for about 1 minute.
- Pour wax into a mason jar. Warning, do NOT pour leftover wax down your drain
- Let it set and wait 24 hours before burning it.
Christmas body butter
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooling time : 10 minutes
Always have dry skin in cold weather? We have the solution for you and it requires only 4 ingredients.
What you need
- ½ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup jojoba oil
- 15 drops of pine fragrance
- Prepare a double boiler : melt the shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil.
- Once melted, remove from heat, let cool and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes or until your mixture is partially solid (creamy texture that can be mixed with a spoon).
- Remove your mixture from the freezer and add 15 drops of pine fragrance.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients for 3-5 minutes or until desired texture is reached.
- Pour your body butter into the container of your choice
Prep time: 15 minutes
Waiting time : 8 hours
The perfect gift to give to your loved ones or yourself. Not only is it great looking, it's a DIY that will smell great!
What you need
- soap mold loaf
- shea butter soap
- soap cutter
- soap dyes
- glass measuring cup
- dividers for the loaf mold
- mini popsicle sticks
- soap fragrance
- Cut the soap into chunks and place in 3 different measuring cups
- Microwave for about 20 seconds and stir each time. Repeat until the soap is completely melted.
- Mix the dye in one of the cups. Set aside.
- Add about 20 drops of your fragrance to each cup. Adjust the number of drops, depending on your preference.
- Place the dividers in the soap mold and pour in your soap mixture one at a time.
- Remove the dividers and swirl the soap quickly, but gently with a stick. You don't want the two colors to mix too much and the marbling effect to be less defined.
- Let sit for about 8 hours or until the soap solidifies completely.
- Cut the soap into the desired size
Salt dough decorations
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 4 hours or let it rest for 5 days
Whether it's to keep the kids entertained or to give as Christmas decorations, here is a quick and easy recipe for salt dough. Made of flour and salt, this dough hardens after being modeled.
What you need
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups de flour
- 1 cup ¼ warm water
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and add water
- Mix the preparation with your hands. If it is too crumbly or falls apart, add a little water. If it is too sticky, add more flour.
- Put the dough on a clean surface. You can add flour to the surface to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Work the dough It should be soft and not stick to your fingers
- Have fun and create your decoration.
- Let it rest for 5 days or until the dough is completely hardened. For a faster result, bake at 200° F for about 4 hours. Please note that baking may change the colour, size and/or texture of your decoration.
Eco-friendly holiday packaging
Everyone loves to unwrap gifts during the holiday season. But how do you keep the fun while staying green? Here's a wrapping paper DIY that's easy to make and fun to do with kids.
Prep time: 10 minutes
What you need
- About 1 metre of craft paper
- 1 potato cut in half
- Paint in the colour of your choice
- Cut about 1 metre of craft paper or the desired size for your packaging
- Cut a potato in half and cut out your desired stamp design with a knife. We chose a star and a tree.
- In a plate put the paint in the colour of your choice
- Dip your stamp made with your potato and stamp on your craft paper.
No craft paper? No problem, use old newspaper or even old fabric that is no longer in use.
A quick zero waste gift
If you're less of a DIYer, but you're interested in the idea of a zero-waste gift, consider giving myni products to your loved ones or to yourself! Whatever the product, myni has the solution for you and the planet.
Bottles - $12.99
Made from wheat straw, myni’s cleaning bottles are durable and biodegradable. Available for all purpose, glass and mirror, bathroom, stainless steel and degreaser cleaners . Shop yours here.
Tablets - from $2.99
A myni (mini) tablet with great powers. For an eco-friendly and toxic-free cleaning, it's time to get myni tablets. Available in 1, 3 or 10 pack. 6 scents available. Discover your tablet here.
Dishwasher detergent - $4.99
Discover an eco-friendly, zero waste solution to wash your dishes in peace. Shop here.
Laundry detergent - $4.99
A simple, effective and ecological solution to wash your clothes is possible. Myni has developed an ultra concentrated odourless tablet that gently cleans all fabrics. Shop here. For best results, use warm water during your loads.
Hair and body care
Hair and body care bottles - $12.99
Like the cleansing bottles, the hair and body care bottles are made of wheat straw. They are just as durable and biodegradable once they reach the end of their life. Available for shampoo, conditioner, body wash and 3-in-1. Shop for yours here.
Hand soap bottles - $12.99
The first collection of natural foaming hand soap bottles made from wheat straw. Durability without compromising end-of-life biodegradability. Find out more here.
Hair and body care powder - from $8.99
Yup, we've created the first ever shampoo in the form of a powder that can be rehydrated in water. When in contact with water, the powder transforms into a gel similar to your favorite shampoo. No sulphates, no toxic ingredients and no animal cruelty. Available in 1, 3 or 10 packs. 3 scents available. Discover your products in powder form here.
Hand soap tablets - from $3.99
Mixed with water, this formula gives you a smooth,, foaming hand soap that cleans deeply, while leaving your skin soft and hydrated.. Available in 1, 3 ou 10 pack. 3 scents available. Discover our hand soap here.
Compostable konjac sponge - $9.99
This plant-based and biodegradable sponge is made from konjac root fibers. Its irregular texture makes it a perfect smooth sponge that exfoliates very gently! Shop your sponge here.
Wheat straw hair brush - promotion at $8.99
In addition to our bottles, myni is launching its first ever hair brush made from wheat straw. It gently detangles hair on wet or dry hair. Find out more here.